2015-07-03

WizKid, Yemi Alade, Fuse ODG snub BET TV Awards in Los Angeles -


wizkid adebayo
Abuja – Three Nigerian artistes nominated for the Best International Act (Africa), at the Black Entertainment Television (BET) TV Awards in Los Angeles, California, have twitted that they would boycott the event.

 The artistes – WizKid, Yemi Alade and Fuse ODG – said the reason was that the award was given to African Artistes at `the backstage.

’ Wizkid Wizkid According to WizKid, despite being in Los Angeles on Sunday when the award took place, he did not turn up for the pre-shows and interviews which are part of the event. He wrote: “LOl so I’m hearing BET is mad cos I didn’t come for the pre shows and interviews! Lol.



 “But I won’t be attending ur preshows and nominee parties if I’m getting the award at 10a.m. before the main show.

 “Same reason I didn’t come back stage to pick up the award when I won the first time “I’m in LA to work and decided to see the show cos I got love for u guys.

 “I don’t post about nominations or talk about awards cos I don’t really care to be honest. Just a bunch of peeps putting together a show!

 “Performing to my amazing fans and making music is all I care about. #TeamWizkid Love!

 “I love u BET! If I’m in the city when next u doing the award show, I’ll still come to watch. Lol

 Similary, Yemi Alade on her instagram page said, “Africa is not a country!!!… it is wrong to nominate huge African stars and publicly try to humiliate Africa.

yemi
Yemi Alade
Yemi-Alade Yemi-Alade “Why on earth is the African category of the awards held hours before the ‘main event? “If African artistes are not worthy in your sight, please by all means cancel, delete, and omit the ‘Best International Act (Africa) category out of the glorified award. “This is so wrong.’’

 Also, Fuse ODG wrote on his twitter: “the reason why I did not come is because you give our awards backstage! You have no respect for our hard work and achievements.’’ Meanwhile, Donsam Musiq, an Abuja based producer, said he was not surprised at the development.

 “These people (organisers) do not value us neither do they appreciate our pattern of music, they would rather use our style and beat patterns to enhance their music. “What kind of encouragement do artistes get when they are awarded in front of hundreds of empty chairs instead of people?

 “It is sad the way they try to make our artistes feel inferior to their artistes; there is obviously no excuse for this. It is unacceptable.

 “I hope this would give our African entertainment industry reasons to come up with a continental award body that would appreciate and celebrate our musical icons’’, he said.

  BET Awards first created the Best International Act – Africa category in 2011 with D’Banj and Tuface becoming the first acts to win the category.

No comments: